Capstone Practicum Related Learning Experience This Capstone Assignment is a practicum related learning experience designed to assist the student to critically analyze, synthesize, and apply the knowledge and skills of advanced social work to a case or agency situation.
Capstone Practicum Related Learning Experience
Please see the attached assignment descriptions. This description will also be the rubric that I use to grade the assignment.
Minimum required pages for the narrative are 20.
Please follow the section format for your assignment with a narrative in each section.
Clinical Case Analysis
Utilizing the case analysis approach outlined below, track a client (or clients) through your agency system. Remember confidentiality! Points in parentheses are maximum available points for the section, so this is the assignment instructions as well as the grading rubric. I strongly encourage students to use the headings as organized in the rubric.
Capstone Practicum Related Learning Experience Section 1
- Detailed Assessment of Problem
Use your agency’s form if you want to. A psychosocial assessment can be substituted to collect, organize and collect data.
- a) Identifying information, referral source(s), presenting problem(s), history of presenting(s) problems, current living situation
- b) Gather history (employment, medical, psychological, drug/alcohol, family, educational, developmental(physical & emotional), legal, abuse)
- c) Assess client strengths and limitations including significant social supports and quality of relationships with family, peers and others
- d) Develop a summary to understand a client from the eco-system perspective
- e) Diagnosis? Use the DSM-5. (if your agency does not diagnose clients, create one as best you can with the information you have)
- Ethical & Professional Behavior (competency 1)
- a) Identify a personal or professional value relevant to an ethical issue or conflict that you have encountered.
- b) Identify the section and subsection of NASW Code of Ethics specifically referenced; for example, “1. Social Workers’ Ethical, Responsibilities to clients, 1.09 Sexual Relationships”.
- c) Identify ethical problem-solving strategies utilized to analyze/resolve the professional/ethical issue or conflict.
- Engagement – (competency 6)
- a) Identify specific engagement skills developed that facilitate the helping relationship with clients. Active listening, paraphrasing, reflecting, etc.
- b) Identify a task you used to prepare for action with individuals, families, or groups.
- c) Identify engagement with organizations and the community at large as it relates to client services.
- d) Discuss how client outcomes and desires were agreed upon.
- e) Identify how short term/long term goals were established.
- Theories and Model of Practice (competency 8)
- a) Describe a practice model(s)/framework that guides your practice with individuals and families.
- b) How does theory link to your practice setting?
- c) Provide two examples of applying this theory to the case.
- Intervention Plan (competency 8)
- a) Discuss and apply a specific intervention based on the model described above. Describe your rationale for this choice.
- b) Identify barriers or obstacles and how they were overcome to meet clients’ goals.
- c) Identify what was done to facilitate client’s problem-solving abilities
- d) Develop a treatment plan to address needs identified
Capstone Practicum Related Learning Experience
- Advance Human Rights and Social, Economic and Environmental Justice (competency 3)
- a) Identify and apply strategies of oppression the client experienced.
- b) Assess what economic injustice the client experienced.
- c) Identify advocacy actions you participated on behalf of your client.
- Identify Issues of Diversity and Differences experienced by Devalued Oppressed Clients (competency 2)
- a) Identify policies/practices established by the agency to acknowledge diversity. Were they implemented?
- b) Assess to what extent the client’s culture and values marginalized or enhanced privilege and power.
- c) Identify how specific population needs were addressed.
- d) What self-awareness have you gained regarding your own bias and values?
Capstone Practicum Related Learning Experience Section 2
- Engage in Practice-Informed and Research-Informed Practice (competency 4)
- a) Identify an evidenced informed theory and assess how it informs and evaluates client progress.
- b) Assess how your practice experience informs scientific inquiry or how research evidence was used to inform practice.
- Assess Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations and Communities (competency 7)
- a) Demonstrate an ability to effectively use and critique the DSM.
- b) Assure the identified diagnosis meets criteria and/or demonstrates a pattern of behavior.
- Engage Policy Practices (competency 5)
- a) Identify one social issue and a social (not agency) policy (be specific, state the policy) that relates to your practice context.
- b) Analyze and discuss the impact of the policy on your practice/ the client and the agency.
- c) Identify a policy change recommended advancing client social well-being?
- Intervene with Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations and Communities (Competency 8)
- a) Identify negotiation strategies or mediation you completed with other/outside agencies on behalf of your client?
- b) Assess your experience/reflection on inter-agency support.
- c) Identify formal/informal support available to the client.
- d) Identify the client’s response or feedback regarding the process.
- e) What did you do to facilitate transitions and endings?
- Evaluation Practice with Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations and Communities (competency 9)
- a) Identify what evaluative monitoring occurred.
- b) Identify the evaluative tools the agency utilize for diagnosis/assessment.
- c) Analyze the effectiveness of the tool (s) used.
- d) Identify the tool(s) used to evaluate outcomes; either an established measure or one that you developed; i.e., single system design? Your rationale?
- e) Identify how you engaged practices that can advance social work practice. Identify if there was successful case closure, if not provide a rationale for such.
- Reflections on the Client Process
- a) What were the various social work roles and functions you assumed in the process?
- b) What intervention strategies would you change or refine? Why?
- c) What changes would you make to improve the agencies method of service delivery and practice?
- Professional Presentation (this to be applied to entire assignment)
- a) Was this paper well written? Clear and Concise.
- b) Grammar; spelling
- c) APA format; title and reference pages, running head, page numbers, etc.
** Reference/cite two EBP journal articles (cite in your paper). Reference any work/info. that is not your own.