Analytic Review Essay on the book Redefining Realness by Janet Mock
The book : Mock, Janet. 2014. Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More. New York: Atria Books.
You must explain the relevance and significance of the Janet Mock book to the 4 readings I have attached, and 2 other scholarly readings of your choice
Essay must have:
– a clear introduction with a thesis that begins with “this book is relevant to sexuality studies because”
– a 1 page summary of the books main themes (i.e. Moral panic, intersectionality, transgender experience, race/racism, gender, violence, sexuality, marriage and family, creating queer families, colonization, feminism, femininity, families of choice, queer theory, sex work)
– an analysis of the books relevance to sexuality studies using the 6 sources (4 included above, 2 of your choice)
– ask yourself what the author of “Redefining Realness” says that overlaps with, relates to, or even contradicts the given readings
– an APA style bibliography (MUST include all 7 texts; the book (Mock), the 4 readings attached, and 2 scholarly external texts of your choice that is relevant to the material (academic articles, chapters, books
**Nancy Fischer’s and Goode and Ben-Yehuda’s readings are about moral panic (moral panic= societies fear of that the behaviour of some members of the society (such as transgender individuals like Janet Mock from the book) is seen as problematic of evil and something must be done about it)
– so relate these readings to the book’s relevance through this idea or moral panic .. that Janet’s behaviour (i.e. her being transgender) sparked a moral panic in society
**Fausto-sterling’s article focuses on gender as a social construction; also relevant to Janet Mock’s book as she grows up fighting essentialist views on sexuality.
** Weeks’ article also focuses on gender as a social construct and the history/politics of struggle there have always been people outside of the norm (i.e. cultures of resistance) –> relate this to the book
** The other two scholarly readings of your choice can be about violence against transgender or other topics that defend the relevance of Janet mocks book in sexuality studies.
We can write this or a similar paper for you! Simply fill the order form!