History critical writing
History critical writing Exercise 2 (Worth 10% of your grade)
Using multiple primary sources from the American Yawp Textbook, submit a printed 2-page essay in class on December 4, 2018 responding to one of the following prompts:
• In spite of American prosperity, military dominance, and increased civil rights, why did some Americans in the last half of the 20th Century lament their country’s decline?
• What did Americans in the last half of the 20th Century think about their role in the world?
The essay should have a thesis, clear organization, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The thesis doesn’t have to be that original or novel, just formulate your ideas developed from the class and back it up with evidence.
This is not an English class so you will receive very little feedback on the paper except for a number grade. If you want detailed feedback on how to improve your writing, visit with me in my office hours and I would be happy to give you detailed feedback.
The essay is graded out of 10 points and based on three factors.
- Clear argument-is there a thesis and analysis of the evidence?
- Strong evidence-does the student effectively use primary sources from the American Yawp?
- Follows the format-does the student follow the format specified below?
- The essay should have no spelling or grammatical errors. Use the writing center or a friend to proofread your work beforehand.
- 2 Pages. Not 1 or 3 pages. Not 1 page with 1 sentence on the 2nd page, 2 full pages.
- Double-sided. A 2-page double-sided essay should be 1 sheet of paper w/ text on both sides
- Font: Size 12 Times New Roman
- Double-spaced, 1-inch margins on all sides, no justification.
- No citations, footnotes, endnotes, works cited, bibliography. Just name the primary source in your text as you explain your evidence.
- No headers or footers. Do not put student information in left corner, such as:
Mr. Joel Frary
We can write this or a similar paper for you! Simply fill the order form!