Assessment Brief 1 Managing Information and Technology
Item of Assessment Report
Word Limit: 1500 to maximum 1650
Chosen organisation: Virgin Atlantic (UK)
Learning Outcomes for the item of assessment
This item of assessment covers the following learning outcomes. For the full list of learning outcomes for the module, please refer to the Module Study Guide.
• Analyse the internal business environment, in which information systems have to operate.
• Explain how information technology can provide solutions to business problems and provide opportunities for organisations.
• Develop problem solving skills in a business information and technology environment. (C5) • Communicate IS/IT solutions. (C2 & C5)
Your report should:
• For chosen firm, Virgin Atlantic. Analyse any three primary activities and two support activities in Porter’s Value Chain and
Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your chosen business (800 words)
• Build on the understanding gained by these activities, summarise and reflect on how the
business could deploy IT (information technology) and use innovative ideas to improve
its business processes and to enhance its competitive positioning
P.S. Because this report is part of a wider report, there is no need for a general introduction to Virgin Atlantic. Just what it is about Value Chain:
Present the Purpose of Value Chain
Explain the purpose of each activity: support activity and primary activity.
Describe how Virgin Atlantic perform is activity.
Show how Virgin Atlantic adds value to its activities (support with data/charts etc.)
Indicate future value-added and non-value adding activities if applicable.
Indicated strength and weaknesses and evaluate strength and weaknesses for Virgin Atlantic.
• Discuss the role of IT in helping the business to gain a competitive advantage
• Demonstrate knowledge of the concepts and ideas studied in the course
• Demonstrate the use of analytical skills
• Communicate effectively using management terms or language
• Demonstrate theoretical and practical knowledge
• Do adequate, independent research
• Use the Harvard referencing system appropriately throughout the assignment
Advice: Do not expect to find a ready-made study that includes the business models. Create your own report by sourcing information about the organisation by means of searches of recognised internet sources, journals, and the organisation’s website/literature/annual reports.
This is the book that must be the basis for drawing up this report: Business Information Systems, 5th edn : Technology, Development and Management for the E-Business
Paul Bocij, Andrew Greasley, and Simon Hickie
CORE TEXT: Business Information Systems, Technology, Development and Management for the E-Business – Paul Bocij (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Recommended Texts Reading:
• Chaffey, D. and White, G., 2010, Business Information Management: Improving Performance using Information System, Pearson Education
• Dooms, C. 2013, Introduction To Business Information Management, 2nd Edition ASP (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Recommended Websites for Further Reading:
• BBC Business News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business
• Economist (https://www.economist.com/
• Financial Times (https://www.ft.com/
• BBC Click (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n13xtmd5
• Independent (https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech
• The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/uk/technology
• Office for National Statistics (https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade
Use the citation and references in the above list as much as possible!
The report should be relevant to the UK
Please be very glad you do not hire to write this report unless you are specialized in this area: Managing Information and Technology.
Important: You need to have access to the book: Business Information Systems, 5th edn: Technology, Development and Management for E-Business
Paul Bocij, Andrew Greasley, and Simon Hickie .
We can write this or a similar paper for you! Simply fill the order form!