Policy Brief Paper Budget Deficit Assignment Helping the budget crisis by legalizing gambling, including sport gambling, throughout the country*
For this assignment you are to take on the role of a policy analyst for the President of the United States.
You have been hired to ensure that the President is up to speed on the various issues that he will have to face and has a well-reasoned policy recommendation to consider.
Policy Brief Paper Budget Deficit Assignment Purpose
Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to help you learn to inform yourself about government and political issues and evaluate political topics and social issues in an effective manner. It also provides an opportunity for you to apply what you have learned to real world issues that matter to you.
Pattern and Procedure: In order to write this brief, you must do several things:
1. Define the problem to be addressed (Stated above). Identify a policy problem at the federal level that needs to be addressed. Demonstrate that the situation you are addressing exists by providing evidence. Explain WHY this is a problem worthy of the President’s attention. Provide evidence to back up your position that this is a serious problem. Generally an existing program or piece of legislation is not a ‘problem.’ If an existing program is of interest to you, look for the underlying problem that program was designed to solve and use that as your problem. The program or legislation then becomes one of the options for addressing the problem. WORDS TO THE WISE—Take some time on this section for, in many ways, it is the most important section of your paper. Do not begin thinking about solutions to the problem until you get this section done—You cannot undertake to solve a problem if you do not understand what the problem is. If this section is fuzzy, the rest of the paper will be as well.
2. Identify, discuss and evaluate a minimum of 3 policy options for the President to consider (See below). Go into this section with an open mind. Your options should flow out of the problem definition. Give each option you present a fair hearing—you are laying out options for the President to consider and he needs the facts and a fair analysis on each so he can make an informed decision.
3. Present your position on the issue, i.e., choose ONE of the options you outline in the previous step. Please note that you are being asked to choose one solution form a group of potential options. Do not structure your list of options such that you recommend an ‘all of the above’ solution—you must choose. If you like all of your options you must at minimum choose which one is most important and should be done first. This will help you to get a sense of the tradeoffs that are necessary in the real world. This is the section in which you get to present your position; prior to this section you have been focusing on the facts.
4. Present an argument and evidence in support of your position. Prove to the President that this solution is, indeed, the best option available to address the problem. Notice the need to provide evidence—don’t just put an assertion out there without backing it up with evidence.
5. Cite your paper appropriately and include a works cited page. This means that every time you use a source,
you must cite it in the text of the paper. See Citation Guide for instructions. Please provide complete urls for all web sources.
Policy Brief Paper Budget Deficit Assignment Graiding Rubric
Grades will be based on how well you define the issue and argue your position. Specifically the paper should do the following: Demonstrate a full understanding of the issue. Identify a variety of options, show understanding of the options and the consequences (pro and con) of each option. Evaluate the options identified and argue persuasively in favor of a preferred option. Back up the arguments with data and evidence. Use a sufficient number (5+) of good sources—no Wikipedia—to adequately address the issue. These papers should be about 8-10 pages.
1. Let casino gambling be legal in all states, without certain conditions about location, which will allow more gambling, in turn allowing more revenue
2. Give States the right to allow sports betting/gambling and to use the revenue however the states deem appropriate (education, road way budget)
3. Federal government legalizes sports betting/gambling allowing the states to have the betting, but receives the revenue from the gambling and uses it for the budgets they see fit.
Sadly, I am unable to write this as a family matter has occurred causing me to be unable to work on this assignment, in which I have turned to this site for assistance.