Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy
Psychology Short Essay Assignment
Please use Chapter Powerpoints and Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Chapters 12 & 13.
An essay with guidance from the professor has also been attached. Please utilize her notes and the course criteria to ensure the same mistakes aren’t made.
This assignment consists of short essays. All assignments MUST be typed, double-spaced, in APA style, and must be written at graduate level English. Your responses should be no more than º to Ω page per question.
You must integrate the material presented in the text to support your responses, and cite your work according to APA format.
- How might the counselor have to adjust his or her own values to work with clients from differing cultures? How is therapist self-care an ethical matter as well as a way to prevent therapist burnout?
- How is resistance a central issue in analytic therapy? Explain the functions that resistance serves. Discuss some guidelines that you might use in understanding both the resistance of your clients and your reactions to their resistance.
- How is Adler’s view of human nature different from Freud’s? What importance does Adler give to the role of childhood experiences in terms of adult life?
- Describe the therapeutic process from an existential perspective by addressing basic assumptions, therapy goals, and the nature of the client/counselor relationship.
- Discuss the concept of accurate empathy as the therapist’s ability to subjectively understand the client’s world. What are some barriers that might limit a therapist’s capacity to be empathic?
- How is the here and now a basic concept in Gestalt? How is the past dealt with in this approach? How about the future?
- Discuss the role of the client/therapist relationship from the behavior therapist’s point of view. What are some of the criticisms of this relationship?
- What are the main contributions and criticisms of the Cognitive Behavioral approaches? How well suited are these approaches to the needs of culturally diverse clients?
- How can reality therapy be applied to working with culturally diverse clients? What are the strengths and weaknesses of this approach when working with diverse clients?
- Feminist therapists do not restrict their practices to women clients; they also work with men, couples, families, and children. What are some ways you think that feminist therapy concepts can be applied to counseling men, couples and families?
- Both narrative therapists and solution-focused therapists are very concerned with establishing truly collaborative relationships with their clients. Clients are co-creators of solutions and are co-authors in the process of re-authoring their life stories. What are some specific steps a therapist can take early in the course of therapy to establish this collaborative partnership? What if the client does not want to be a partner, but instead expects the therapist to be the expert?
12. What are some of the main contributions that you see in working with clients from a family systems perspective? Mention some of the limitations you see in the family systems perspective, including working with families from culturally diverse backgrounds.
We can write this or a similar paper for you! Simply fill the order form!