Read these practice scenarios
1. You are working on a busy surgical ward and notice that many of the patients have developed
phlebitis in their IV site.
2. You are working with patients in the cardiac rehabilitation area and have several patients
diagnosed with cardiac conditions who are being treated for hyperlipidaemia. One of the
patients relatives asks you about the efficacy of using green tea in managing cholesterol that
they have read about in the latest New Idea magazine.
3. Whilst working in the respiratory clinic the mother of a teenage girl who has asthma asks
what type of exercise would be beneficial for managing asthma symptoms .
4. As a rural mental health professional working in a Community Child and Adolescent Mental
Health Team, you notice that around the time of high school exams referral rates of 16-18
year old clients seem higher.
5. You are a member of an adult drug and alcohol team at a community health centre. A client
has asked you about how to quit smoking, and what options have the best results.
Choose one of the scenarios from above. Then answer the following questions with regard to obtaining
the best available evidence to inform practice in relation to the scenario you have chosen:
Questions to address
1. Evidence gathering: (See Chapters 2 & 3 in your text)
• Using the PICO format, devise three questions that can be informed by research. (For<br
example: Is intervention A more effective than intervention B in…………….?)
• What are the different types of research evidence that could be sought to improve care and
outcomes for the client/patient in your chosen scenario? Differentiate between the types and
levels of evidence.
2. Decision making processes:
• Comment on how you would consult with other health professionals about the evidence you
have found (you should identify health team members) and comment on how a judgement
about whether or not to use the evidence will be made.
• Comment on how you would include the patient/client and their family in deciding what
evidence is appropriate for the situation. (Consider patient/client needs and context in your
• Your response may be formatted in short answer form. However you MUST include
• You need to post your response online.You may prepare your answers in Word, but in order to
submit , you need to enter your answers into the editing space provided in Moodle. This
can be done by copying and pasting from your Word document if you choose to write in Word
• The answer space in Moodle is editable, so you can come back and revise your response up
until the due date.
• Note that answers uploaded to Moodle in the form of document files will NOT be marked.
Unlike most other websites we deliver what we promise;
- Our Support Staff are online 24/7
- Our Writers are available 24/7
- Most Urgent order is delivered with 6 Hrs
- 100% Original Assignment Plagiarism report can be sent to you upon request.
GET 15 % DISCOUNT TODAY use the discount code PAPER15 at the order form.