Sociology Extra Credit Assignment
Find an article about a local, state, national, or international issue that a grassroots movement is mobilizing around, which was written in the last
year. Research the purpose and nature of at least one grassroots organization participating in this movement.
Write a 5-7 page paper (double-spaced, 12pt font) that addresses the topics below. Be sure to include proper citations of all the sources you use. This
assignment will be reviewed using Turnitin software.
1. What is the social issue your movement is addressing? Why?
2. Is this a local, regional, national, or international issue? Explain in detail.
3. What is the historical, political, and cultural context that led up to this social movement?
People, Groups, Goals, and Tactics:
1. Describe the groups associated with this social movement. Do they rely on volunteers or paid employees? Describe the average person who is
2. What is the organizational structure? How are decisions made?
3. What are the main goals of this grassroots movement? What are the main demands?
4. What types of strategies and tactics are most commonly used (i.e., direct action, mainstream, etc.). Using theories we’ve discussed in class, explain
why they might choose these particular tactics.
Grassroots Participation Theory:
1. Apply at least one of the theories we’ve discussed from Tocqueville, Eliasoph, or McAdam to this grassroots movement.
We can write this or a similar paper for you! Simply fill the order form!