Art History and the Reading Response of Obscene, Abject, Traumatic
– Summarizes key aspects of the topic
– Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of the topic discussed
– Contributes to personal opinion in response to the discussion
– Offers strong insights to support a personal point of view
– Writing is well organized and meaningful
– The response is appropriate to the topic and answers the question successfully and precisely.
The topic of this week’s show is Art and Obscenity. Specifically, we’re thinking about where art and obscenity intersect. So, what exactly do we mean by “obscene”? The Supreme Court defines it as any material which “appeals to a prurient interest in sex, portrays sexual conduct in a patently offensive way,” and which “does not have any serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.”