Comparing Comics to Marjane Satrapis Graphic Novel Persepolis The purpose of this paper is to apply the theories of Scott McCloud’s Understanding Comics to the Marjane Satrapi’s graphic novel Persepolis.
In the process, you are being asked to argue whether this comic proves (or does not prove) McCloud’s theories. In this way, you are using the graphic novel as a testing ground for the theories and concepts we have discussed the first half of the term.
Texts: Scott McCloud, Understanding Comics, Marjane Satrapi, Persepolis
In an essay of 5-6 pages (1250-1500 words), apply the theories of Understanding Comics to the Satrapi comic Persepolis. In the process, explain the McCloud concepts you will be using and apply them to specific panels and events in the graphic novel. There is no specific number of concepts I expect, but I would aim for as many as you can reasonably prove in this length of a paper (4-5 major concepts, most likely, along with minor ones along the way).
Comparing Comics to Marjane Satrapis Graphic Novel Persepolis Guidelines:
- Your thesis in this paper will state clearly in what ways the comic does and does not illustrate the McCloud ideas.
- Be sure to explain specifically what McCloud’s terms mean as you use them.
- The more specific evidence from the comic you use, usually the better. I will cover in class how I would like them cited.
- Be sure to have a Bibliography with the two sources above listed, along with any others you may use.
- As always, spelling and grammar do count, so please proofread carefully.
Comparing Comics to Marjane Satrapis Graphic Novel Persepolis Structural: Concepts
Introduce comics as a genre and introduce McCloud and Satrapi
- Summary 1-2 paragraphs
Define McCloud Concepts
- Support 4-5 paragraphs
4-5 concepts each with evidence with evidence from Satrapi
#3 of needs
- 4-5 McCloud concepts
- Panels/images/ pages/themes in satrapi
- Think about comics as a genre- did Persepolis/ McCloud expand your sense of what comics can be/do (this can be written in the conclusion)
Some of mcCloud’s concepts
– words vs. picture
-moment to moment
-action to action
-subject to subject
-scene to scene
-aspect to aspect
– 6 steps there is more but I don’t remember at this moment if you can please find other important ones to include in the essay
When citing in the essay…
On page #, row #, panel #, Satrapi or McCloud shows…